Tuesday, December 7, 2010

On Blogway (It's a Sing-Along!)

Blogging needs a theme song, IMO, and I thought this would do.  All you have to do is change the chorus from "On Broadway" to "On Blogway," and it works perfectly.
Go on, get out of your chair and dance.  At least do that goofy chair-dancing thing with your butt.  Go on.  I won't tell anyone.

You know that from here on out whenever you hear this song you're gonna think "On Blogway."  Sorry, George.

Okay, back to bidness.

I have been accused by some of not ever reading directions.  On electronic devices.  On toasters.  On blankets (seriously, what's there to know?  Does it say "Dry Clean Only"?  If not, then it's all good.)

It's not that I don't read directions.  I do.  But they mostly don't stick in the place in my brain that says "Permanent Records kept HERE."  Once upon a time, I even knew how to make a Pivot Table in Excel - a useless skill for daily life if ever there was one.  Glance to your right - but look away, quickly, before your brain freezes.

So, when I started to blog, I should have first looked up and seen how it was done.  Oops!  I figured, I kinda knew how to write, and what I wanted to say, and the rest could sort itself out.

And you know what?  That actually worked.  I read some blogs I liked, decided to go with Blogger rather than WordPress because it looked purtier to me.  Seemed easier to fill with pictures and video clips when I was short on words.  (There are other free blogsites, but those are currently the big two.)

Despite my fly-by-the-seat-of-my-dancin'-pants approach, I am discovering I can blog better if I consult some resources.  Here's some good ones.

5 Blogging Basics by Nate Moller.  It's actually six, because he asks you in the intro to ask yourself why you want to blog.  As the blogger, you need to know, if you're (potentially) writing for the entire world, or just for your family.  (Did you know blogs don't have to be public, but can be private - ya gotta know the secret password to get in?  I did not know that.)  Nate's five points include tips about pictures and video, making your blog scannable, and keeping it short and simple (oops again.)  More links to more good articles, too.

BlogAngel on writing great Blog Titles  (yes, another one I shouldda looked at before I began.  Oh well!)

5 Blogging Tips from Hubpages.  This one talks about the idea of doing scheduling - so if you're feeling super-creative, you can crank out several blog posts in one sitting, and dole them out over time.  About the use of linking in your blogs.  About turning your blog into a book.  About sticky power (which sounds like a not-very-appealing superhero.)

Ten Commandments of Blogging from Pimp My Novel offers tips specifically for authors and wanna-be authors.

And by Dumb Little Man, 10 Hard Truths About Blogging and what it takes to be successful.  A must-read.

One more essential - Independent Fashion Bloggers on using photos without breaking the law.  (Uh, you can be busted for that?  Yep.)

bhcoversidebar
image via Pioneer Woman

Then there's Pioneer Woman, who's kind of like a Renaissance Man, except she's female.  And funny.  She does everything - blogs, cooks, and I think I saw somewhere on her site that she castrates calves.  Now that's talent.
Anyway, she offers Ten Tips, including:

9. If you have writer’s block, push through and blog anyway.
  • I posted the first chapter of Black Heels on a morning when I woke up with the most raging case of writer’s block, I couldn’t even type my name.
  • I was sure you’d hate it, but I posted it anyway.
  • I went on to write forty-plus more chapters.
  • What if I’d given in to my writer’s block and decided not to blog that day?
  • I would never have written my Green Acres-meets-War and Peace romance novel.
So, if I can write a blog, you can write a blog.   If that's what you want to do.  Or, perhaps, what you're already doing.  On Blogway...

Leave me a comment with your blog URL and I'll come pay a visit.
Pin It