Friday, April 29, 2011

Yet - Best Little Word in the World



By the Powers Invested in me by Nobody, I hereby declare that "yet" is the Best Little Word in the World.

Is there any sentence that yet doesn't improve?

I'm not a best-selling author. 
I'm not a best-selling author yet.

I can't come up with a way to end this chapter. 
I can't come up with a way to end this chapter yet.

I don't have a bazillion Followers. 
I don't have a bazillion Followers yet.

I can't <run a marathon, stop eating chocolate, quit my day job> yet.

I haven't contracted an STD yet.  (Okay, maybe yet doesn't quite work for that one.)

Yet is a tiny little word filled with huge hope and possibility.  There's a goal in sight that we're working towards, and we're not there - yet - but we believe, we know - we can reach it.  That there is still time.

The word yet makes me feel like this song, Parallels, by Yes.  (Yes is a word very like yet.  As I'm sure you've noticed.)

There is no actual video - just play it for the song, and read on.  (Provided you don't have crappy speakers.  If you do have crappy speakers... never mind.)


Whenever I hear this song, the church organ swelling grandly, the bass notes dancing up and down, the soaring vocals, I feel the embodiment of Yes! and Yet within me, like a girl joyfully twirling and whirling in a flower-filled meadow, with every possible life experience she could ever desire ahead of her and within reach.

Photo from Dreamstime
Wow.  Was it good for you?



Here's how Dictionary.com defines yet
–adverb
1. at the present time; now: Don't go yet. Are they here yet?   [Of course. there's also the annoying Are we there yet?]
2. up to a particular time; thus far: They had not yet come.
3. in the time still remaining; before all is done: There is yet time. [I love love love "There is yet time."]
4. from the preceding time; as previously; still: He came here on a vacation 20 years ago, and he is here yet.
5. in addition; again: The mail brought yet another reply. [Let's imagine the mail is yet another fan letter, shall we?]
6. moreover: I've never read it nor yet intend to.
7. even; still (used to emphasize a comparative): a yet milder tone; yet greater power.
8. though the case be such; nevertheless: strange and yet very true.

Eight different ways to be used!  That's a lot of work for such a little word, but yet's a powerhouse, I'm tellin' you.

One more important thing about yet.  I have not yet visited all the other A-Z participant sites, but I truly intend to!

How do you feel about yet?
Does it empower you, or are you thinking, "yeah, whatever"?