Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Guest Post: Are You A Blogger Who Writes,
or a Writer Who Blogs? by Dafeenah

I "met" Dafeenah during the A-Z Blogging Challenge, and was intrigued and inspired by her style, her wide variety of cultural experiences, and her unique writer's voice.

She introduced me to the concept of Qawwali & Qasida.  (This clip is a form of Qawwali, and has haunted me so much since I heard it I had to have it on my blog, too.)




Like me, she's a fairly new blogger, and a member of SheWrites.  I can't fully describe the Dafeenah Experience, only that it's delightful.

Here, now, in her own words:

photo via graur razvan ionut at FreeDigitalPhotos
Are you a blogger who writes or a writer who blogs? This is a question that I see on a lot of the blogs I visit. I see many bloggers/writers wondering if it's ok to call themselves a "writer."  When I first started blogging, there was no way I would have dared to label myself a writer. Stephen King, Dean R. Koontz, Anne Rice, they were writers. Me? A writer? No way, but then a funny thing happened; the more I wrote on my blog, I realized I am a writer. I may not be a published writer. Definitely not a great writer. Some days not even a good writer, but no matter what adjective I chose to put before it, the noun remained the same. I am a writer and a successful one at that.

My success isn't measured in dollar signs. Although that would be nice. I mean wouldn't it be nice to earn a little cha-ching from what you love doing most?

At the moment though, I am content with the success I have found. The words I have written on my blog have touched lives and changed the views of others. The words I have read on others' blogs have changed the way I see the world as well. To me, this is a success. So I may never be the next Stephen King and I may never see my name in lights, but I am sharing the bits and pieces of my story, one blog post at a time. Someday I might string those posts together bound in a shiny cover, but until that day comes, I am content knowing that for today I am simply a writer. I will decide what the adjective is tomorrow.

Thank you Beverly for having me here!! Everyone is invited for chocolate at my place, Finding The Hidden Treasure Within.



Please let Dafeenah know in the comments, here, 
that you found her words helpful & inspiring.
And go follow up on that chocolate!