Monday, April 23, 2012

A-Z: Tiny Buddha = Huge Life Lessons

Tiny BuddhaTiny Buddha (Photo credit: Lebatihem)I used to think of the concepts of Buddhism - with or without the religious beliefs - as a bit woo-woo, kind of "out there." Then I actually slowed down and took another look.

Turns out there is much power in that little round belly. And much wisdom in the site called Tiny Buddha, which has become one of:
My 26 Favorite Ways to Piss Away Time Do Valuable Research on the Interwebs.
Here's what site creator/writer Lori Deschene says about it:
Tiny Buddha is about reflecting on simple wisdom and learning new ways to apply it to our complex lives–complete with responsibilities, struggles, dreams, and relationships. Over the last three years, Tiny Buddha has emerged as a leading resource for peace and happiness, with more than 15 million views to date.
My name is Lori Deschene. Though I run this site, it is not mine. It’s ours. It’s not about me. It’s about us. Your stories and your wisdom are just as meaningful and useful as mine.
The site features tips and authentic stories from readers of all ages all over the globe. You’ll find posts about happiness, motivation, inspiration, love, relationships, meaning, possibilities, mindfulness, and letting go. Much of it has its roots in Buddhism, but this is not a site about religion. It’s about ideas that make sense and make a big difference when applied.
Sometimes the stories and posts - by Lori, by a multitude of guest bloggers - touch me deeply on a personal level. Other times they inspire on a creative level, or often, a blend of the two. Like this one from Tiny Wisdom - What It Means To Live the Dream:
Have you ever felt a sense of internal conflict about enjoying the present moment while also working toward your dreams?
Vietnamese devotional statue of the historical...Vietnamese devotional statue of the historical Buddha (Photo credit: Wikipedia)This is something I revisit over and over, because I know life happens now, and in order to fully live it, I need to accept what’s in front of me and experience it with complete awareness.
Yet I also want to expand, spread my wings, and see just how far I can soar.
A big part of that is visualizing what the future might look like—and then making and following a plan to get there.
This is where it gets tricky: what’s the difference between planning for tomorrow and living for it? What’s the difference between attaching to a possibility in a way that causes us pain, and believing in a possibility in a way that causes us joy?
To read the rest, click here.

Then there's 4 Reasons To Let Go Of Jealousy and Celebrate Your Greatness:
Realization #1: Being anything less than happy for others was blocking my own chance at success and happiness.
Like attracts like, so by ruminating in the idea that you don’t have what someone else does have, you’re simply attracting more of what you’re feeling: lack. This means you are actually pushing away the very things you’re craving.
Yet, if you are able to celebrate in the successes of others, you are sending a very clear message to the universe: “I’ll have some of that too, please!”
To read the entire post, click here. (Not that I've felt even momentarily jealous or envious of another writer's success. *rolls eyes*)

There's an overflowing abundance of inspirational quotes on Tiny Buddha. (Which, if you have WordPress, you can even set up a daily quote import on your own blog through their plug-in.)
Don't Postpone joy until you have learned all of your lessons. Joy is your lesson. ~Alan Cohen
Make the best use of what is in your power and take the rest as it happens. ~Epictetus
Stress is cause by being 'here' but wanting to be 'there.'  ~Eckhard Tolle

There's a book full of goodness, too. Mine's on its way to me.

Every time I visit Tiny Buddha, there's a part of my soul or heart which feels fed.





My A-Z theme is My 26 Favorite Ways to Piss Away Time Do Valuable Research on the Interwebs.

Truly, sometimes an idea from a "pointless" fun site or post or photograph does result in pages and pages of writing. Or at least a blog post or two.

Are you a Tiny Buddha fan?
Got another quick way to get your Zen on?
Got other fun sites beginning with the letter "T"?
Enhanced by Zemanta